Des Traynor is the Co-Founder, Chief Strategy Officer and VP of Marketing at Intercom, one of the world’s hottest startups that simply put, makes communicating with customers easy and efficient. They have raised over $115m in funding from some of the world’s leading investors including Social Capital, Index Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners and then titans of industry with Mark Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey and the Collison brothers at Stripe. Prior to Intercom, Des previously co-founded Exceptional (now a part of Rackspace), and prior was a UX designer for web applications.
In Today’s Episode You Will Learn:
- How Des made his way from founding consultancy web design businesses in Ireland to founding SaaS superstar, Intercom, with Eoghan and moving to San Francisco?
- Why does Des believe that “brand is the most overlooked element for new startups”? How must founders think differently when constructing their brand for a single product vs multi-product company? What is the right way to think about this brand architecture?
- How involved should customers be in the development of product roadmap? Where are the nuances and challenges to this? When is the right time to start thinking about releasing a second product? What is the right and the wrong way for this to be marketed?
- What does Des mean when he says, “there is an inverse correlation between quality and market size”? How should founders think about selling to both SMB and enterprise? How do their buying psychology and implementation process differ?
60 Second SaaStr
- When I say success, who is the first person that comes to Des’ mind?
- Where do most startups go wrong with their branding?
- What does Des know now that he wishes he had known at the beginning?
If you would like to find out more about the show and the guests presented, you can follow us on Twitter here: